AP: Couple attempts to sell three-month-old girl
Adilabad: An attempt to sell a
three-month-old baby girl by a young couple in Andhra Pradesh
was foiled in Mancherial town of Adilabad district, police
said on Friday.
Accused Atram Akbar and Maheshwari, in their 20s,
allegedly tried to sell the baby for Rs 1.5 lakh yesterday and
planned to utilise the money to start a business.
The couple even negotiated with one "buyer" for the same, but after some
locals suspected their intention, the "attempt" was foiled,
According to Mancherial police, the couple who hail from
Venkatapur village in Kashipet mandal of Adilabad district
were "boycotted" by their relatives and villager elders around
four years back, as both being cousins, fell in love and were
driven out of the village following their "relationship".
The couple, who are not yet married shifted to Mancherial
town to eke out a living.
About three months back, Maheshwari
delivered the baby girl, Mancherial Deputy Superintendent of
Police (DSP) Y Vijay told.
"It seems after being ostracised...both of them now
wanted to return to their village and were hence planning to
get rid of the baby. They intended to hand over the baby to
childless parents and in return expected some monetary benefit
to start a business. They even spoke to one "buyer" and were
bargaining between Rs 1.3 to Rs 1.5 lakh amount in return for
the baby," the DSP explained.
However, with the intervention of locals (who even
thrashed Akbar), their plans were foiled and they were handed
over to police last night.
Police also verified if the couple were some middlemen
or the biological parents of the baby and found that
Maheshwari had indeed delivered the girl in Mancherial and had
been breastfeeding her.
The DSP said no case has been registered against the
couple as they only wanted to hand over the baby to childless
parents and hoped for getting some amount in return.
"Both of them have been counselled and if they don`t want
the baby we will send the baby to Integrated Child Development
Services (ICDS) centre," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog