AP: Couple attempts to sell three-month-old girl
Adilabad: An attempt to sell a
three-month-old baby girl by a young couple in Andhra Pradesh
was foiled in Mancherial town of Adilabad district, police
said on Friday.
Accused Atram Akbar and Maheshwari, in their 20s,
allegedly tried to sell the baby for Rs 1.5 lakh yesterday and
planned to utilise the money to start a business.
The couple even negotiated with one "buyer" for the same, but after some
locals suspected their intention, the "attempt" was foiled,
According to Mancherial police, the couple who hail from
Venkatapur village in Kashipet mandal of Adilabad district
were "boycotted" by their relatives and villager elders around
four years back, as both being cousins, fell in love and were
driven out of the village following their "relationship".
The couple, who are not yet married shifted to Mancherial
town to eke out a living.
About three months back, Maheshwari
delivered the baby girl, Mancherial Deputy Superintendent of
Police (DSP) Y Vijay told.
"It seems after being ostracised...both of them now
wanted to return to their village and were hence planning to
get rid of the baby. They intended to hand over the baby to
childless parents and in return expected some monetary benefit
to start a business. They even spoke to one "buyer" and were
bargaining between Rs 1.3 to Rs 1.5 lakh amount in return for
the baby," the DSP explained.
However, with the intervention of locals (who even
thrashed Akbar), their plans were foiled and they were handed
over to police last night.
Police also verified if the couple were some middlemen
or the biological parents of the baby and found that
Maheshwari had indeed delivered the girl in Mancherial and had
been breastfeeding her.
The DSP said no case has been registered against the
couple as they only wanted to hand over the baby to childless
parents and hoped for getting some amount in return.
"Both of them have been counselled and if they don`t want
the baby we will send the baby to Integrated Child Development
Services (ICDS) centre," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor