AP: Couple attempts to sell three-month-old girl
Adilabad: An attempt to sell a
three-month-old baby girl by a young couple in Andhra Pradesh
was foiled in Mancherial town of Adilabad district, police
said on Friday.
Accused Atram Akbar and Maheshwari, in their 20s,
allegedly tried to sell the baby for Rs 1.5 lakh yesterday and
planned to utilise the money to start a business.
The couple even negotiated with one "buyer" for the same, but after some
locals suspected their intention, the "attempt" was foiled,
According to Mancherial police, the couple who hail from
Venkatapur village in Kashipet mandal of Adilabad district
were "boycotted" by their relatives and villager elders around
four years back, as both being cousins, fell in love and were
driven out of the village following their "relationship".
The couple, who are not yet married shifted to Mancherial
town to eke out a living.
About three months back, Maheshwari
delivered the baby girl, Mancherial Deputy Superintendent of
Police (DSP) Y Vijay told.
"It seems after being ostracised...both of them now
wanted to return to their village and were hence planning to
get rid of the baby. They intended to hand over the baby to
childless parents and in return expected some monetary benefit
to start a business. They even spoke to one "buyer" and were
bargaining between Rs 1.3 to Rs 1.5 lakh amount in return for
the baby," the DSP explained.
However, with the intervention of locals (who even
thrashed Akbar), their plans were foiled and they were handed
over to police last night.
Police also verified if the couple were some middlemen
or the biological parents of the baby and found that
Maheshwari had indeed delivered the girl in Mancherial and had
been breastfeeding her.
The DSP said no case has been registered against the
couple as they only wanted to hand over the baby to childless
parents and hoped for getting some amount in return.
"Both of them have been counselled and if they don`t want
the baby we will send the baby to Integrated Child Development
Services (ICDS) centre," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview