AP: Dist Cong units want party to support Telangana demand
Hyderabad: Mounting pressure on party leadership, the presidents of the District Congress Committees in Telangana region on Wednesday urged the Andhra Pradesh Congress to support the separate state demand during the all-party meet convened by the Centre to discuss the issue.
"We said the decision of Congress should be in support of separate Telangana demand. If separate Telangana is given, Congress will be strengthened in the region. Otherwise, we may face problems," Gangadhar, the president of Nizamabad District Congress Committee (DCC), told reporters.
He was speaking after a meeting the DCC presidents had with Andhra Pradesh Congress unit president Botsa Satyanarayana here.
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has convened the meeting of recognised political parties in Andhra Pradesh on December 28 to discuss the contentious Telangana issue.
The previous two meetings convened by the Centre were unsuccessful in resolving the issue due to lack of consensus.
The opposition TDP, TRS, Yuvjana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) have been demanding that the Congress spell out its stance on the Telangana issue as it is in power both at the Centre and in Andhra Pradesh.
In addition to the opposition parties, Congress leaders from Telangana also sought that the party leadership take a pro-Telangana stand in the all-party meeting.
Other organisations espousing different causes -- separate Rayalaseema state, united Andhra Pradesh and separate Telangana -- have also asked the Congress to highlight their respective cause in the meet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents