AP: Dist Cong units want party to support Telangana demand
Hyderabad: Mounting pressure on party leadership, the presidents of the District Congress Committees in Telangana region on Wednesday urged the Andhra Pradesh Congress to support the separate state demand during the all-party meet convened by the Centre to discuss the issue.
"We said the decision of Congress should be in support of separate Telangana demand. If separate Telangana is given, Congress will be strengthened in the region. Otherwise, we may face problems," Gangadhar, the president of Nizamabad District Congress Committee (DCC), told reporters.
He was speaking after a meeting the DCC presidents had with Andhra Pradesh Congress unit president Botsa Satyanarayana here.
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has convened the meeting of recognised political parties in Andhra Pradesh on December 28 to discuss the contentious Telangana issue.
The previous two meetings convened by the Centre were unsuccessful in resolving the issue due to lack of consensus.
The opposition TDP, TRS, Yuvjana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) have been demanding that the Congress spell out its stance on the Telangana issue as it is in power both at the Centre and in Andhra Pradesh.
In addition to the opposition parties, Congress leaders from Telangana also sought that the party leadership take a pro-Telangana stand in the all-party meeting.
Other organisations espousing different causes -- separate Rayalaseema state, united Andhra Pradesh and separate Telangana -- have also asked the Congress to highlight their respective cause in the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani