AP Elections still a year away, parties already in poll mode
Hyderabad: The elections in Andhra Pradesh are at least a year away, but political parties in Hyderabad have already started gearing up for the battle and some of them even initiating the process of selecting candidates.
TDP Chief N Chandrababu Naidu completed a record 208-day `padayatra` across the state over the last seven months, the grand finale of which was held in Visakhapatnam on Saturday.
The former Chief Minister, who has been in opposition for nine years, made a slew of promises in his meetings including writing off agricultural loans, remunerative prices for farmers, monthly dole for unemployed educated youth and setting up special courts for trying cases against women, if he is voted to power.
Naidu reportedly held constituency-wise reviews during his foot march and began short listing of candidates for the polls.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who faced a tough time ever since he became Chief Minister on account of Telangana and Jagan factors, has been travelling across the state, almost on a daily basis, to highlight the welfare schemes of his government.
TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao has already announced that he would declare the first list of candidates for the elections next month.
At a meeting yesterday, he said he was targeting to win about 100 assembly and 16 Lok Sabha seats which would enable the party to dictate terms to the Centre and achieve a separate state for Telangana.
The TRS president, who has been encouraging migration of leaders from other parties, is also likely to undertake a `yatra` soon.
Maintaining that Congress, TDP and other parties were dominated by leaders from non-Telangana regions, he appealed to the electorate to reject them.
He too promised uninterrupted power supply for farmers, free education for students, loan waiver for farmers, two bed room houses for poor among others.
Meanwhile, the Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress Party (YSRCP) honorary president Y S Vijayamma has launched the `Rachabanda` programme while YSRCP leader Sharmila, sister of YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, is already on a state-wide padayatra?
Not to be left behind, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu has been participating in breakfast meetings with people from different sections of society.
Noting that his meetings have received tremendous response from the public, he recently expressed confidence that BJP would achieve surprising results in AP in the 2014 Lok Sabha and assembly elections.
The CPI and CPI(M) have been undertaking agitations on people`s issues like ongoing power crisis in the state to reach out to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India