AP government to observe functioning of Sai Trust
Puttaparthi: The Andhra Pradesh
government has reportedly decided to observe the functioning
of the Satya Sai Central Trust in the post-Baba era without
any intervention, at least for now.
Highly-placed sources said Governor E S L Narasimhan
and Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who held informal
talks with some key members of the Trust during their visit
here for the Baba`s final rites, reportedly assured them that
the government would not interfere with the Trust`s activities
as long as nothing went amiss.
"The government will be compelled to act if anything
goes wrong in the Trust`s affairs," the Chief Minister
reportedly told the Trust members.
Informed sources said both former Chief Justice of
India P N Bhagwati and auditor Indulal Shah have shown
disinterest in heading the Trust, which is said to command a
wealth to the tune of at least Rs.
40,000 crore While Baba`s nephew Ratnakar is said to be a
front- runner for the Trust head`s post, Chennai-based Venu
Srinivasan is also in contention.
"For now, Trust secretary K Chakravarthi will
continue to lead the operations.
A formal meeting of the Trustees and the Council of
Management is expected to take place after completion of
11-day rituals of the Baba wherein further course of action
will be decided," the sources said.
Meanwhile, police sources said a security cover is
being extended to important members of the Trust in view of a
"We have not received any formal complaint from any
member of the Trust or the Baba`s family or a request for
provision of security.
"But we are extending security as a general measure
and because of presence of a large crowd of several lakh
people," Rayalaseema region Inspector General of Police
Santosh Mehra said today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'