AP Governor accepts minister`s resignation
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan on Saturday accepted the resignation tendered by P Viswarup from the post of state animal husbandry minister.
Viswarup submitted his resignation two days ago protesting the proposed bifurcation of the state.
He also quit the Congress party, though he said he would continue as an MLA to oppose the resolution in the State Assembly over the division.
"I am moved by the ongoing agitation (in Seemandhra) for a unified state. Hence, I have decided to step down from the Minister`s post," Viswarup had said.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy asked the Governor to accept Viswarup`s resignation when the issue was referred to him.
Based on the Chief Minister`s advice, the Governor accepted the Minister`s resignation, official sources said.
Viswarup becomes the first AP Minister to have quit over the state bifurcation issue, though the "resignations" supposed to have been submitted by at least 10 other Congress Ministers are pending with the CM.
It is learnt that Viswarup may soon join the Jagan Reddy-led YSR Congress, which is steadfastly opposed to division of Andhra Pradesh.
The Congress Working Committee on July 30 announced its decision to carve out a separate state of Telangana by bifurcating Andhra Pradesh.
Since then Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions are witnessing widespread agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway