‘AP govt is suppressing info in Sohrabuddin case’
New Delhi: After Gujarat, the Andhra Pradesh
government on today came under the scrutiny of the Supreme Court
for protecting its police officials who were allegedly present
at the site where Sohrabiddin Sheikh was killed in a fake
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai
said that there is a "deliberate attempt" on the part of
Andhra Pradesh not to provide information to the CBI which is
investigating the case.
"There is a deliberate attempt to suppress information,"
the bench observed while pointing out that the register which
records the movement of the police officials was not supplied
to the probe agency.
Andhra Pradesh police officials had said that the
register, recording the duty of its officials who were present
at the site, was missing.
The court`s remark came after the former Solicitor
General Gopal Subramanium, assisting the court as amicus
curiae, submitted that the investigating agency has failed to
identify the Andhra Pradesh police officials who were alleged
to be involved in the fake encounter.
On the apex court decision to hand over the case to the
CBI which was earlier probed by the Gujarat police, he said,
"The state had failed to discharge its constitutional duty".
Subramanium contended that the CBI probe in the case is
"It is something very serious. The state has not
performed its duty and the CBI is also faltering in the case,"
he said, while pointing out the failure of the CBI to identify
the Andhra Pradesh police official involved in the fake
The bench after hearing his arguments asked him to point
out the deficiencies in the CBI probe on the next date of
hearing on Wednesday.
Earlier, the apex court had rapped the CBI for making
insinuations that Gujarat`s trial courts and its judges were
partial towards Shah in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case,
saying it was "complete nonsense" and "contemptuous".
The CBI`s submission in its petition that the accused in
the case have "presence of their kith and kin in the
subordinate judiciary in various capacities as prosecutors,
magistrates as well as judges" was termed as "highly
irresponsible statement" by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe