AP govt mulls new body to manage Tirupati temple
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Government
is contemplating to appoint a "specified authority" in place
of the Board of Trustees of the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams
(TTD), whose term comes to an end on August 24.
The move comes in the light of a series of
controversies surrounding the TTD Board and the stepped up
attack by Opposition parties for abolition of the Board
currently headed by former MP D K Adikesavulu Naidu.
"Details related to the constitution of a specified
authority in place of the Trust Board are being worked out. An
announcement in this regard will soon be made," Information
Minister J Geeta Reddy said.
The issue came up for discussion at the Cabinet meet
chaired by Chief Minister K Rosaiah here this evening.
She said there were many "misconceptions" about the
functioning of the current TTD Board. "We discussed what we
can do and how we can improve the image of TTD that manages
the world famous temple of Lord Venkateswara."
Telugu Desam President N Chandrababu Naidu and Praja
Rajyam Party chief K Chiranjeevi recently trekked the Tirumala
Hills separately seeking cleansing of the TTD administration.
PRP, in fact, wanted a CBI probe into the TTD affairs
even as the Vigilance and Enforcement Department submitted its
inquiry report in which it has reportedly indicted three board
members in the sale of arjita seva (special worship) tickets.
The report was reportedly discussed by the Cabinet in
an informal manner, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore