AP govt set to ink MoU with UK govt for energy conservation
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government will soon sign a memorandum of understanding with the government of UK for collaboration on energy efficiency and low-carbon growth.
The MoU will see UK extend technical support for the state to implement the best practices vis-a-vis energy efficiency and conservation.
With the assistance of the British High Commission, AP government is also preparing a comprehensive roadmap for improving energy efficiency, said the Chief Secretary and State Energy Conservation Mission (SECM) Chairman, Prasanna Kumar Mohanty.
British Deputy High Commissioner Andrew McAllister has held talks with the Chief Secretary in this regard and promised to extend the necessary technical support.
Addressing a press conference following a meeting of SECM here today, Mohanty said that energy conservation was a long- term programme evolved by the state government with the objective of annually conserving an estimated 15,105 million units of power.
"This will result in a saving of Rs 9,500 crore and we are adopting a systematic approach for this," Mohanty added.
The municipal administration and urban development, panchayat raj, agriculture and industries` departments are some of the key wings where the energy efficiency and conservation measures would be implemented on a priority basis, he said.
"The Municipal Administration and Urban Development department conducted a study of nine urban local bodies and found that 50 per cent of the 186 million units currently being used for street-lighting alone could be saved by replacing the regular bulbs with LEDs.
Similar measures could be implemented in the 21,000 gram panchayats as well," the chief secretary pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam