AP govt terminates MoU with Janardhana Reddy`s fir
Hyderabad: In a further setback to former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhana Reddy, Andhra Pradesh government tonight terminated the MoU with Brahmani Industries for a steel plant in Kadapa district alleging it "totally failed to fulfil its commitments".
The validity of the Memorandum of Understanding with the company expired on May 20, 2010, and it "failed to fulfil its obligations and live up to the agreement", an order issued by Principal Secretary (Industries) T S Appa Rao said.
Brahmani Industries Limited (BIL) is a subsidiary of Obulapuram Mining Company owned by Gali Janardhan Reddy who is now in jail in connection with the illegal mining scam.
The then government headed by Y S Rajasekhara Reddy had allotted 10,760 acres of land to BIL for setting up an integrated steel plant with an initial production capacity of two million tonnes per annum, which was to be expanded to ten million tonnes by the year 2017, providing direct employment to 10,000 persons and also creating indirect employment to one lakh persons.
Initially, when the project was mooted, the government had agreed to allot only 8,000 acres to BIL but the then Chief Minister ensured the company got more land than required.
Several other incentives under the state’s Industrial Promotion Policy 2005-10 were also extended to BIL as it was classified as a `mega project`.
The YSR government had also allotted 3,115 acres of land to BIL for setting up a "commercial airport and flying academy" at Ambavaram village in Kadapa district.
The CAG, in its latest audit report, rapped the AP government over "indiscriminate" allotment of land to BIL.
The state government had issued several notices to BIL seeking an explanation as it "failed" to fulfil its obligations and complete the project work.
The government had also found out that BIL mortgaged the land allotted for the steel plant and obtained a loan of Rs 350 crore from Axis Bank.
The Kadapa district Collector had filed a criminal case against the company in this regard and the case is now under investigation.
In its response to the government on March 1, 2011, BIL said since its parent company stopped operations, the steel plant work was also stopped.
It even sought to put the blame on the AP government alleging the latter "deliberately and arbitrarily" prohibited the mining operations of Obulapuram Mining Company and Ananthapur Mining Corporation, the profits of which were the sole source of funding for construction of the steel plant.
BIL claimed it had invested Rs 1350 crore of its `own money` in the project but the government pointed out that it had spent only Rs 170.95 crore.
After obtaining field-level reports from the Kadapa district administration and seeking legal opinion, the state government decided to terminate the MoU entered into with BIL, the Principal Secretary said in his order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks