AP govt to cushion domestic consumers from power tariff hike
Hyderabad: Facing heat from the opposition and a section of ruling Congress, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday night announced that the state would bear an additional subsidy burden of Rs 830 crore to ease the burden on domestic power consumers.
AP Electricity Regulatory Commission announced a new power tariff order for FY 2013-14 last week allowing the power distribution companies to levy additional tariff of Rs 6,173 crore on consumers from April 1.
Apparently fearing a backlash in the election year, the Chief Minister reviewed the order with members of a cabinet sub-committee this evening, and announced that the old tariff would remain applicable to domestic users whose consumption is between 1 and 200 units a month.
"This will benefit 1.86 crore domestic consumers as the government will bear an additional subsidy burden of Rs 830 crore. It will be in addition to the Rs 5,480 crore subsidy for the agriculture sector for free power," the Chief Minister said at a press conference tonight.
He also said the government "will try" to ensure there is no burden of fuel surcharge adjustment on consumers this year.
"Though we are buying power from outside sources at a high cost due to scarcity of gas and coal and also hydel power, we will try to see that FSA is not levied," he said.
Referring to agitations by opposition, the Chief Minister said, "If anybody still continues to agitate, they will be the representatives of capitalists, and not the people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read