AP Guv seeks clarity on `special responsibility` under T-Bill
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan has sought certain "clarifications" from the Centre on the "special responsibilities" of the Governor in the new state of Telangana and the residual state of Andhra Pradesh under the AP Reorganisation Act-2014.
Under the Act, there will be one Governor for the two states and will act on the advice of the Council of Ministers of Telangana. But the Governor need not go by the Cabinet`s advise and can use his discretionary powers in matters like maintenance of law and order and internal security in the "common capital area".
The Act bestowed this "special responsibility" on the Governor.
Incumbent Governor Narasimhan, who is now the state`s administrator under the President`s rule, has written to the Centre seeking certain clarifications on the "special responsibilities", according to Union Minister Jairam Ramesh.
"I had a three-hour meeting with the Governor day before yesterday to review the current status related to the implementation of the AP Reorganisation Act. The Governor has asked for certain clarifications which the Union Ministry of Home Affairs has agreed to provide in a couple of days," Jairam Ramesh, who was a member of the Group of Ministers that drafted the Reorganisation Bill, told a press conference here this afternoon.
"He wanted to know in detail what is meant by special responsibility," the Union Minister added.
Jairam said all issues related to the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh "are on track" and there would be a "lot of action" after June 2, the appointed day when the two states would come into being.
"A number of steps have to be taken before the appointed day and many afterwards. As many as 21 committees have been constituted to look into the bifurcation exercise and they will submit their reports by April 30. Then the process (of bifurcation) will start," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter