AP HC refuses to stay Panchayati Raj election
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh High Court
on Tuesday refused to interfere with the proposed election process
for the Panchayati Raj institutions.
The Andhra Pradesh Sarpanch Sangam had approached the
High Court complaining that the reservation proposed by the
state government for SC/ST and BC categories exceeded 50 per
cent which is contrary to the Supreme Court judgement.
The petitioners contended that the State Election
Commission was proceeding on issuing election notification
on the advise of the state government.
However, Justice G Rohini, while dismissing the
application, observed that the election process cannot be
interfered or stayed as the material supplied by the
petitioners is not sufficient to hold whether the reservation
exceeded 50 per cent or not.
It requires full data and close scrutiny of the case
put up by the petitioners at the final hearing, the judge
As a consequence of the decision, the decks for the
election commission to go ahead with the process stand
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panasonic launches T44 lite smartphone at Rs 3,199
- Gold prices slumps by Rs 100 to 30,800 per ten grams
- Karnataka bandh tomorrow; film theatres to remain closed, protests grow – More details
- HC upholds summoning of Vijay Mallya in cheque-bounce cases
- Scientists identify key protein that can predict ovarian cancer early!