AP High Court judge`s appointment comes under SC scanner
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to scrutinise the appointment of an Andhra Pradesh High Court judge, Justice NV Ramana, despite pendency of a criminal case against him during his appointment, and sought from the Attorney General all documents pertaining to his elevation.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Desai also expressed surprise that he was appointed on the advice of erstwhile Union Law Minister Ram Jethmalani, who, appearing as an advocate for the petitioner, was now seeking quashing of his elevation.
"Mr Jethmalani you have an illustrious career spreading over several decades. You had held number of posts and conducted several cases about which you are also not aware. In this case the collegium had twice rejected the name of this particular judge but it was at the instance of the then law minister that the appointment was made," the bench said.
When the bench pointed it out to Jethmalani, he said if some wrong has been done, it can be undone too.
"Your lordships are trying to say that I was the law minister at that time. Your lordship can suggest me what can be done to undo it," Jethmalani replied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed