AP High Court judge`s appointment comes under SC scanner
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to scrutinise the appointment of an Andhra Pradesh High Court judge, Justice NV Ramana, despite pendency of a criminal case against him during his appointment, and sought from the Attorney General all documents pertaining to his elevation.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Desai also expressed surprise that he was appointed on the advice of erstwhile Union Law Minister Ram Jethmalani, who, appearing as an advocate for the petitioner, was now seeking quashing of his elevation.
"Mr Jethmalani you have an illustrious career spreading over several decades. You had held number of posts and conducted several cases about which you are also not aware. In this case the collegium had twice rejected the name of this particular judge but it was at the instance of the then law minister that the appointment was made," the bench said.
When the bench pointed it out to Jethmalani, he said if some wrong has been done, it can be undone too.
"Your lordships are trying to say that I was the law minister at that time. Your lordship can suggest me what can be done to undo it," Jethmalani replied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation