AP High Court split on lie-detection test on Raju
Hyderabad: A two-member bench of the Andhra
Pradesh High Court today delivered a split verdict on a
petition filed by B Ramalinga Raju, disgraced former chairman
of Satyam Computers, challenging the CBI move to conduct a lie
detection test on him.
While justice Gopal Reddy ruled in favour of the accused,
justice Govindarajulu gave a ruling in favour of the polygraph
test on Raju, who is awaiting trial in a multi-crore
accounting fraud in Satyam Computers.
As per the judicial procedure, the issue will now be
referred to a third judge through the Chief Justice of the
High Court, Bharat Kumar, counsel for Raju told PTI.
A local CBI designated Court last year ruled in favour of
the plea made by the investigating agency seeking permission
to conduct lie-detection test on Raju, his brother B Rama Raju
and ex-Chief Financial Officer of Satyam, Vadlamani Srinivas.
The court ordered that the tests should be done within eight
Raju and the two other accused filed a petition in the AP
High Court challenging the local court`s order.
Justice Gopal Reddy opined that compelling an accused to
undergo lie-detection test amounts to human rights violation
of the accused under Article 21 of the Indian Constitution.
On the other hand, Justice Govindarajulu felt if the
Investigation Officer of the case feels that the polygraph
test is necessary, he may be allowed to do so.
The CBI argued that the investigating agency was of the
opinion that the accused had not shared "everything" with it
and there was need for more evidence, which can be found with
a lie-detection test on the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- PM Modi meets ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Twinkle Khanna’s words for ‘fitness freak’ hubby Akshay Kumar - It can’t get sweeter than this!
- Bihar govt's bizarre order: No cooking, yagna between 9 am and 6 pm to avoid fire
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore