AP: Non-constitution of DRSCs defers budget proposal discussion
Hyderabad: Though more than three weeks have elapsed since the first half of Andhra Pradesh Legislature`s Budget session was adjourned, no discussion on the Annual Financial Statement for FY 2013-14 has begun due to delay in constitution of Department-Related Standing Committees (DRSCs).
The DRSCs were supposed to be in place by March 15 but there is no sign yet on their constitution.
The Legislature was adjourned on March 26 after the Assembly adopted a vote-on-account for the first quarter of the 2013-14 fiscal and subsequently nothing happened.
The second half of the budget session was supposed to start in the last week of April after the DRSCs discussed the budget proposals and came up with their recommendations.
The House would then consider the DRSCs` recommendations before the Appropriation Bill is passed for the entire fiscal.
Since the committees have not taken shape yet, the budget session is now expected to resume only towards the end of May or first week of June, Legislature sources said.
This is the first time that AP has decided to have DRSCs, on the lines of Standing Committees in Parliament, to discuss the annual budget proposals in detail since no meaningful debate has been taking place on the demand for grants particularly in the state Assembly.
In all, 12 DRSCs were to be constituted.
Orientation programmes were conducted for legislators on the role and responsibilities of the DRSCs and the Legislature staff were also duly trained to ensure effective functioning.
But except the YSR Congress, no other political party has raised the issue of non-constitution of DRSCs.
"The Congress government is simply shying away from discussing any issue in the Legislature. It is now running away from discussing even the annual budget. The Legislative Affairs Minister owes an explanation on the delay in constituting the DRSCs," YSR Congress Legislature Party deputy leader B Sobha Nagireddy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued