AP parties urge EC to withhold ULB poll results on April 2
Hyderabad: Political parties in Andhra Pradesh have requested the Election Commission to withhold results of the ensuing elections to Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) as they could become "exit poll" results ahead of the General Elections.
A rather unusual situation has arisen in the state with elections to ULBs slated for March 30 and counting of votes for April 2.
As per the schedule announced by the ECI today, notification for the first phase of elections to 17 Lok Sabha and 119 Assembly constituencies in the Telangana region is to be issued on April 2 itself.
Political parties feared that declaration of ULB poll results would have a bearing on the General Elections.
At a meeting with state Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwarlal here this afternoon, leaders of all major political parties like TDP, BJP and TRS raised the issue and wanted the EC to withhold the ULB election results.
Incidentally, ULB polls are under the domain of the State Election Commission that is as independent as the ECI.
Nevertheless, CEO Bhanwarlal told reporters in the evening that he has referred the issue to the ECI for clarification.
"The ECI will decide what has to be done `constitutionally and legally` in the matter," the CEO added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi