AP parties urge EC to withhold ULB poll results on April 2
Hyderabad: Political parties in Andhra Pradesh have requested the Election Commission to withhold results of the ensuing elections to Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) as they could become "exit poll" results ahead of the General Elections.
A rather unusual situation has arisen in the state with elections to ULBs slated for March 30 and counting of votes for April 2.
As per the schedule announced by the ECI today, notification for the first phase of elections to 17 Lok Sabha and 119 Assembly constituencies in the Telangana region is to be issued on April 2 itself.
Political parties feared that declaration of ULB poll results would have a bearing on the General Elections.
At a meeting with state Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwarlal here this afternoon, leaders of all major political parties like TDP, BJP and TRS raised the issue and wanted the EC to withhold the ULB election results.
Incidentally, ULB polls are under the domain of the State Election Commission that is as independent as the ECI.
Nevertheless, CEO Bhanwarlal told reporters in the evening that he has referred the issue to the ECI for clarification.
"The ECI will decide what has to be done `constitutionally and legally` in the matter," the CEO added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings