AP Police denies exodus of NE migrants; assures them safety
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Police on Friday assured the people from North-East region residing here of their safety in the state and denied there was mass exodus of migrants from the city or any part of the state.
"Hyderabad is known for its communal harmony.. And I am assuring the Assamese people of their safety and they should not to get panicky by rumours. For the past two days, we are reviewing the situation. No attacks (on Assamese) happened in Hyderabad," State Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy told reporters here.
Police have intensified patrolling and pickets have also been deployed in the state. Besides, armed escorts are being provided for trains coming from Bangalore carrying people from Northeast and other parts that were passing through Andhra Pradesh, he said.
On reports that people of North-East were fleeing from Hyderabad, the police chief said "no one went fearing attacks. It is their worried family members and elders who are calling them and asking them to come back. Only a few people left...But there is no exodus."
"We are giving armed escort to trains passing through Andhra Pradesh. Armed platoons have been posted in areas where Assamese stay and patrolling has also been intensified in order to instill confidence among those people," the DGP added.
Hyderabad Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said rumours (of attacks on Assamese) did not start in Andhra Pradesh.
Asked about security arrangements provided to panic-stricken people of North-east region, the Hyderabad Police chief said "we have asked all our SHOs to be aware of this particular situation. They have been asked to immediately look into the complaints take necessary action if anybody calls them so that this atmosphere of fear goes away."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3