AP police foil Maoists plan to target politicians
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh police today
claimed to have foiled an attempt of a Maoist team from
Karnataka to target political leaders and senior police
officers in the state, by arresting one of its members.
The arrested member, identified as B Chandrashekhar, of a
three-member action team of CPI (Maoist), during his
interrogation reportedly told police that the team led by him
was tasked to eliminate politicians and policemen in Andhra
The team active in Karnataka state, managed to sneak into
Mahabubnagar district of Andhra Pradesh last night. However,
alert policemen foiled the plans of Maoist action team members
during vehicle checking operation in the district, Gadwal DSP
Mahesh said over phone.
Based on a credible intelligence input, Mahabubnagar
police carried out search operations on the entry points of
the bordering areas of Karnataka state and signalled a
vehicle, in which three Maoists including Cndrashekhar were
travelling, to stop on the outskirts of Aize town.
The Maoists jumped out of the vehicle and tried to
escape, however, Chandrashekhar was nabbed while two others
managed to flee, the officer said.
Chandrasekhar is a CPI (Maoist) State Committee member
operating in Karnataka and allegedly provided logistic support
to Maoist`s Central Committee, the police officer said.
On the information given by the arrested Maoist, a police
team raided some hamlets near Shahapur town in Yadgir district
in Karnataka today and unearthed a dump recovering one AK 47,
ammunition of 9mm pistol and SLR, four wireless sets, two
police uniforms besides Maoist literature, he said, adding a
hunt has been launched to nab two other ultras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption
- Clinton says emails, foundation ties not a threat to her White House bid
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies