AP police gets IACP award for drive against human trafficking
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh police has been
awarded `Webber Seavey International Association of Chiefs of
Police award` for 2009 for bringing down human trafficking in
and outside the state, a top police official said on wednesday.
Andhra Pradesh has taken a lead in anti-human trafficking
by conducting rescue operations within and outside the state,
state DGP R R Girish Kumar told media persons.
In a special drive taken up by the state police, 65
traffickers were imprisoned from 4 to 14 years in 16 cases, he
The award was announced by The International Association
of Chiefs of Police (IACP) for AP police in November. The
award was to be received in a function in US, but no
representative could be sent due to the floods in the state
during that period.
Law enforcement programs are recognised for their
effectiveness by IACP, headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia
with over 14,000 members representing 74 nations.
The DGP said 182 cases of trafficking were registered
in the year and 326 victims including 9 minor girls were
rescued besides arresting 360 traffickers and 182 customers.
Saying that overall crime situation in the state is under
control, Girish Kumar expressed concern on the reported
incidents of counterfeit currency cases.
He said 147 persons involved in the fake currency
cases were arrested till November 9 and fake currency at face
value of Rs 10.10 crore was seized.
Talking on the general crime scenario, the DGP said 1.55
lakh cognisable crimes were reported this year as compared to
1.65 lakh cases in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'