AP police gets IACP award for drive against human trafficking
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh police has been
awarded `Webber Seavey International Association of Chiefs of
Police award` for 2009 for bringing down human trafficking in
and outside the state, a top police official said on wednesday.
Andhra Pradesh has taken a lead in anti-human trafficking
by conducting rescue operations within and outside the state,
state DGP R R Girish Kumar told media persons.
In a special drive taken up by the state police, 65
traffickers were imprisoned from 4 to 14 years in 16 cases, he
The award was announced by The International Association
of Chiefs of Police (IACP) for AP police in November. The
award was to be received in a function in US, but no
representative could be sent due to the floods in the state
during that period.
Law enforcement programs are recognised for their
effectiveness by IACP, headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia
with over 14,000 members representing 74 nations.
The DGP said 182 cases of trafficking were registered
in the year and 326 victims including 9 minor girls were
rescued besides arresting 360 traffickers and 182 customers.
Saying that overall crime situation in the state is under
control, Girish Kumar expressed concern on the reported
incidents of counterfeit currency cases.
He said 147 persons involved in the fake currency
cases were arrested till November 9 and fake currency at face
value of Rs 10.10 crore was seized.
Talking on the general crime scenario, the DGP said 1.55
lakh cognisable crimes were reported this year as compared to
1.65 lakh cases in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details