AP Police lathicharge to disperse protesters
Nizamabad: Police on Friday resorted to lathicharge to disperse protesters belonging to minority community after they held blockade on Gandhi Chowk alleging that an old woman`s body had gone missing from a graveyard.
The protesters demanded action against those responsible for the incident even though police who got the burial opened found the body was still there and it was shown to the family members of the deceased, a police officer said.
The deceased, aged around 82 years, was buried at the graveyard located on Bodhan Road. However, the family members who went to the graveyard yesterday suspected that the woman`s body had been removed from its place of burial, the officer said.
"Following a complaint, police registered a case under Section 297 (trespassing on burial places) of IPC. With the help of authorities, police got the body exhumed from the graveyard before burying it again," he explained.
However, some youngsters held dharna and staged road blockade on Gandhi Chowk seeking immediate action against three persons who they claimed had dug-up the graveyard and removed the body.
Despite repeated requests, the protests continued and police resorted to lathicharge and 10 persons were taken into custody in connection with the incident, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!