AP police seek custody of Viqar, aides
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh police have sought
ten days custodial interrogation of alleged "terror operative"
and founder of militant outfit Tahreek Galba-e-Islam (TGI),
Viqaruddin Ahmed and five of his associates.
OCTOPUS, the counter-terrorism wing of state police,
which is probing the role of Viqar and his associates in the
alleged "terror acts", filed a petition in a local court
seeking their police custody for a period of 10 days for the
purpose of investigation and to elicit some facts which the
accused are aware of, official sources said today.
The twenty-nine-year-old Viqar, who was elusive since
December 2008 after attacking police personnel here in which
two policeman were killed and as many injured, was arrested
along with five of his associates last month.
Viqar and his associates are presently in judicial
According to police, Viqar is also responsible for
killing a police constable in Ahmedabad in 2007, during a
combat with police when alleged TGI members attempted a bank
"Viqar started as a property offender and indulged in
robberies and vehicle thefts from 2003 and used this money to
procure weapons and support (terror) acts," a police officer
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you