AP: Prohibitory orders continue in Tandur town
Hyderabad: Elaborate security arrangements have been made for peaceful celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi, after prohibitory orders continued for the second day in a row in Tandur town of the neighbouring Ranga Reddy district Wednesday, police said.
Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code which were clamped yesterday after members of two communities clashed and indulged in arson over alleged vandalisation of a Ganesh idol in the town, will continue until further orders, a senior police officer monitoring the law and order situation said.
"No untoward incidents were reported today. The situation is peaceful and under control. We are taking all precautions with deployment of additional forces near the Ganesh pandals. Night vigil in particular, has been enhanced to keep a watch on troublemakers," the police officer told a news agency.
In view of Ganesh Chaturthi, vigil was relaxed to enable devotees to conduct pujas at temples and install Ganesh idols at pandals. However, shops and business establishments were asked to close by 6 pm due to a possibility of riots, he said.
Already eight people have been arrested in connection with the violence and moves to nab more of those responsible for the incident was on, the police officer said.
Members of two communities pelted stones against each other, even as miscreants torched a bike and a roadside shop during yesterday`s violence, with one police officer suffering injuries during stone pelting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends