AP puts collectors of coastal districts on high alert
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government has put collectors of all districts, particularly along the Bay of Bengal coast, on high alert on Thursday, in view of heavy rains across the state in the last 24 hours, as well as a forecast of more downpour in the next two days.
AP Chief Secretary P K Mohanty reviewed the situation with heads of all departments here today and directed the AP State Disaster Management Department to be in touch with the National Disaster Response Force as well as the armed forces to keep their personnel ready for any eventuality.
He asked collectors of coastal districts to keep a close watch and take all precautionary measures to prevent loss of life. People living in low-lying areas should be alerted and moved to safety depending on the situation, he said.
Under the influence of the southwest monsoon, Andhra Pradesh received 186.6 mm of rainfall since June 3, which is 13 per cent more than normal.
Police, disaster response and fire services department personnel have been directed to monitor the situation constantly and co-ordinate with the district administration concerned for any emergency measures.
Widespread rain has been reported from all districts of the state during the last 24 hours with Chintapalli in Visakhapatnam district recording 13 cm and Terlam in Vizianagaram district recording 8 cm of rainfall.
Tirumala Hills, the abode of Lord Venkateswara, received 10 cm of rainfall, while many other places in all the three regions received 1 cm to 6 cm of rain, an official press release said.
rainfall warning till July 13 in place, the Chief Secretary directed Transco; roads and buildings; civil supplies; medical and health; animal husbandry; irrigation and panchayati taj departments to take preventive measures.
The South Central Railway has been asked to ensure safety of railway lines and bridges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days