AP: Rain victims kin to get Rs 2 lakh compensation
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government Monday said it will pay an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each to the kin of 18 people killed in hailstorm in different districts of the state in the last three days.
The government will also build houses under the Indira Aawas Yojana to those who lost their shelters in heavy rains, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister N Raghuveera Reddy said.
Briefing reporters at the end of a high-level review meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy here, he said 18 persons were killed in heavy rains and 1,149 houses were fully or partly damaged.
"Preliminary estimates suggested that agriculture and horticulture crops in 2.48 lakh hectares in nine districts suffered extensive damage due to unseasonal rain and hailstorm," the minister said.
The government has decided, in principle, to apply the market intervention scheme to procure discoloured chilli, turmeric, cotton and Bengalgram from affected farmers after due enumeration of the losses, he said.
Meanwhile, a press release from the Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said Kiran Kumar Reddy would visit Karimnagar and Adilabad districts tomorrow to take stock of the situation and interact with affected farmers.
The chief minister also asked chief secretary Minnie Mathew to review the situation in other districts through a video-conference with the respective collectors.
He directed officials from Agriculture, Revenue, Horticulture and Marketing departments to complete enumeration of crop losses and submit a report to the government within a week, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister