AP: Rain victims kin to get Rs 2 lakh compensation
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government Monday said it will pay an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each to the kin of 18 people killed in hailstorm in different districts of the state in the last three days.
The government will also build houses under the Indira Aawas Yojana to those who lost their shelters in heavy rains, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister N Raghuveera Reddy said.
Briefing reporters at the end of a high-level review meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy here, he said 18 persons were killed in heavy rains and 1,149 houses were fully or partly damaged.
"Preliminary estimates suggested that agriculture and horticulture crops in 2.48 lakh hectares in nine districts suffered extensive damage due to unseasonal rain and hailstorm," the minister said.
The government has decided, in principle, to apply the market intervention scheme to procure discoloured chilli, turmeric, cotton and Bengalgram from affected farmers after due enumeration of the losses, he said.
Meanwhile, a press release from the Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said Kiran Kumar Reddy would visit Karimnagar and Adilabad districts tomorrow to take stock of the situation and interact with affected farmers.
The chief minister also asked chief secretary Minnie Mathew to review the situation in other districts through a video-conference with the respective collectors.
He directed officials from Agriculture, Revenue, Horticulture and Marketing departments to complete enumeration of crop losses and submit a report to the government within a week, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened