AP: Rain victims kin to get Rs 2 lakh compensation
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government Monday said it will pay an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each to the kin of 18 people killed in hailstorm in different districts of the state in the last three days.
The government will also build houses under the Indira Aawas Yojana to those who lost their shelters in heavy rains, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister N Raghuveera Reddy said.
Briefing reporters at the end of a high-level review meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy here, he said 18 persons were killed in heavy rains and 1,149 houses were fully or partly damaged.
"Preliminary estimates suggested that agriculture and horticulture crops in 2.48 lakh hectares in nine districts suffered extensive damage due to unseasonal rain and hailstorm," the minister said.
The government has decided, in principle, to apply the market intervention scheme to procure discoloured chilli, turmeric, cotton and Bengalgram from affected farmers after due enumeration of the losses, he said.
Meanwhile, a press release from the Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said Kiran Kumar Reddy would visit Karimnagar and Adilabad districts tomorrow to take stock of the situation and interact with affected farmers.
The chief minister also asked chief secretary Minnie Mathew to review the situation in other districts through a video-conference with the respective collectors.
He directed officials from Agriculture, Revenue, Horticulture and Marketing departments to complete enumeration of crop losses and submit a report to the government within a week, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’