AP: Rain victims kin to get Rs 2 lakh compensation
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government Monday said it will pay an ex-gratia of Rs two lakh each to the kin of 18 people killed in hailstorm in different districts of the state in the last three days.
The government will also build houses under the Indira Aawas Yojana to those who lost their shelters in heavy rains, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister N Raghuveera Reddy said.
Briefing reporters at the end of a high-level review meeting with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy here, he said 18 persons were killed in heavy rains and 1,149 houses were fully or partly damaged.
"Preliminary estimates suggested that agriculture and horticulture crops in 2.48 lakh hectares in nine districts suffered extensive damage due to unseasonal rain and hailstorm," the minister said.
The government has decided, in principle, to apply the market intervention scheme to procure discoloured chilli, turmeric, cotton and Bengalgram from affected farmers after due enumeration of the losses, he said.
Meanwhile, a press release from the Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said Kiran Kumar Reddy would visit Karimnagar and Adilabad districts tomorrow to take stock of the situation and interact with affected farmers.
The chief minister also asked chief secretary Minnie Mathew to review the situation in other districts through a video-conference with the respective collectors.
He directed officials from Agriculture, Revenue, Horticulture and Marketing departments to complete enumeration of crop losses and submit a report to the government within a week, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen