AP: Re 1/kg rice scheme named as `Mana Biyyam`
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy today gave a new name-- `Mana Biyyam` (our rice)- to the state government`s Re 1/kg rice scheme.
The move came with an assurance that the Public Distribution System (PDS) would continue even after the full launch of Direct Benefits Transfer Scheme.
"We will supply more essential items under PDS at lesser price from coming Ugadi, the Telugu New Year`s Day. But we can`t offer everything free as being promised by some Opposition parties," the Chief Minister said launching the Mana Biyyam scheme here today.
Under this scheme, "quality rice" grown in the state would be supplied to consumers unlike the current system where rice from other states like Punjab and Haryana was being distributed.
"This will ensure quality rice supply, besides remunerative price to farmers," the Chief Minister said.
He claimed that the rice that was being sold at Rs 25-a-kg in the open market would be supplied at Re 1/kg to over 1.9 crore white ration card holders.
Mana Biyyam would first be implemented on a pilot basis in Karimnagar, Warangal and Nalgonda districts from today followed by Guntur, Prakasam, SPS Nellore and Chittoor districts from next month.
It would be extended to the entire state in a phased manner.
Also, tur dal, tamarind, sugar, iodised salt, wheat, wheat flour, palmolein oil, turmeric and chilli powder would be supplied as a "package" at a total of Rs 185 as against the market price of Rs 297.
Reacting to the ration shop dealers` demand on the occasion, the Chief Minister said the government would soon issue orders enhancing their commission.
Civil Supplies Minister D Sridhar Babu sought to allay apprehensions that the government was about to shut down the ration shops across the state.
"That is not going to happen. In fact, we want to turn the ration shops into mini supermarkets," he said.
Ministers Botsa Satyanarayana, N Raghuveera Reddy, Danam Nagender, Mukesh Goud and others were present at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India