AP ready to apologise to harassed youths post blasts
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government was ready to apologise to Muslims if it was established that innocent youths of the community were deliberately harassed by
police in the aftermath of 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts, Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy said here on Thursday.
Reacting to a demand raised by Majlis Floor Leader Akbaruddin Owaisi during Question Hour in the State Assembly today, he also promised to extend necessary financial help to
youths who were implicated in blasts-related cases.
"We are also concerned about innocent youth, not only Muslims but anyone. We are ready to apologise unconditionally if any youths were deliberately harassed by police," he said.
However, he said the police would book cases against anyone as part of the duty and based on the circumstances. The government would extend financial assistance to the youths, implicated in the cases and subsequently acquitted, to help them lead a normal life.
Earlier, Owaisi demanded that the government apologise to Muslims as the educated youths were falsely implicated in the blast-related cases.
"Had it not been for the CBI investigation, it would not have been established that the Mecca Masjid blast was the handiwork of Hindu organisations. Though 100 Muslim youths were acquitted in the case, their future has been pushed into jeopardy as they lost employment opportunities," he said.
Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu supported Owaisi`s contention and wanted the government to pay compensation to the acquitted youths.
Home Minister P Sabita Indra Reddy said the government was awaiting report of Justice V Bhaskara Rao Commission, that was probing into the police firing and other incidents
following the blast.
"Based on the inquiry report, we shall initiate action against police officers if they are found guilty of wrong doing," the Home Minister said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical