AP Road Transport Corpn`s decision to hike fares draws flak
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress leaders today joined the chorus of protests against the decision of the Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) to
"The steep hike in bus fares is not justified. Poor and middle class people travel by the RTC buses. There should be a rational decision on the bus fares," Congress MLA and
Government Whip S Sailajanath told reporters.
Terming the RTC`s decision to increase fares as anti-poor, main opposition Telugu Desam, BJP and Left parties held protests demanding that the hike be withdrawn.
Slamming the hike in fares, activists of the opposition parties held sit-ins at Bus Bhavan, the headquarters of the APSRTC here.
"This hike reflects the callous attitude of the Rosaiah government towards the common people. We demand that the government withdraw the increased bus fares," BJP floor leader in the assembly G Kishan Reddy said.
TDP activists led by party MLA D Umamaheswara Rao held a protest in Vijayawada against the decision.
Meanwhile, Transport Minister S Vijayarama Raju said the decision to hike the bus fares was taken by the RTC management without informing the government.
"This decision was taken without informing the government. I will talk to Chief Minister about the matter," he said.
Defending the increase in fares, Managing Director of APSRTC and senior IPS officer SSP Yadav said the hike is inevitable as the RTC is making huge losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price