AP Road Transport Corpn`s decision to hike fares draws flak
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress leaders today joined the chorus of protests against the decision of the Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) to
"The steep hike in bus fares is not justified. Poor and middle class people travel by the RTC buses. There should be a rational decision on the bus fares," Congress MLA and
Government Whip S Sailajanath told reporters.
Terming the RTC`s decision to increase fares as anti-poor, main opposition Telugu Desam, BJP and Left parties held protests demanding that the hike be withdrawn.
Slamming the hike in fares, activists of the opposition parties held sit-ins at Bus Bhavan, the headquarters of the APSRTC here.
"This hike reflects the callous attitude of the Rosaiah government towards the common people. We demand that the government withdraw the increased bus fares," BJP floor leader in the assembly G Kishan Reddy said.
TDP activists led by party MLA D Umamaheswara Rao held a protest in Vijayawada against the decision.
Meanwhile, Transport Minister S Vijayarama Raju said the decision to hike the bus fares was taken by the RTC management without informing the government.
"This decision was taken without informing the government. I will talk to Chief Minister about the matter," he said.
Defending the increase in fares, Managing Director of APSRTC and senior IPS officer SSP Yadav said the hike is inevitable as the RTC is making huge losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor