AP turmoil: Digvijay may visit Hyderabad on Dec 12
Hyderabad: Against the backdrop of surcharged atmosphere over impending bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, AICC general secretary and in-charge of party affairs Digvijay Singh is likely to visit the state capital on Thursday.
During his visit, Digvijay is expected to meet Congress leaders in the state and take stock of the prevailing political situation as protests continue to rage in Seemandhra against the division, party sources said.
Significantly, the winter session of the state Legislative Assembly is beginning on December 12 and the House is likely to take up the AP Reorganisation Bill if it is forwarded by President Pranab Mukherjee by then.
The draft bill, approved by the Union Cabinet last week, has already been sent to the President.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, who has been critical of the party`s decision to split the state, has vowed to defeat the Telangana bill on the floor of the House, though Telangana leaders insist the Assembly would merely debate the issue.
In an embarrassment to Congress, six of its MPs from Seemandhra yesterday gave notice for a no-confidence motion against Manmohan Singh Government to protest creation of Telangana.
Digvijay today said in Delhi that the move is "sad and unacceptable".
Meanwhile, pro-united Andhra employees and others aid here today they would oppose Digvijay`s visit to Hyderabad if he tries to move ahead on dividing the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened