APIIC-Emaar township case: Bail for IAS officer
Hyderabad: The special CBI court on Friday granted bail to suspended IAS officer B P Acharya in the APIIC-Emaar township case, as the Centre has not yet sanctioned his prosecution.
Acharya, a former home secretary of Andhra Pradesh, and Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam (TTD) Executive Officer LV Subramanyam, are chargesheeted alongwith 10 others in the Emaar case. But prosecution of both these IAS officers has not been sanctioned yet, so court today granted Acharya bail on a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and two sureties of same amount.
Barring these two, court today took cognisance of the CBI`s chargesheet against the ten accused (which includes private companies) under Indian Penal Code sections relating to criminal conspiracy, cheating, etc; and also under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Judge B Nagamaruti Sarma had earlier asked CBI to point out how the court can keep a public servant in judicial custody without a sanction for prosecution from the Centre.
The court had also declined to pass any order on a CBI application, seeking a court direction to the Centre to expedite the decision on sanction.
Acharya, arrested on January 31, was vice-chairman and managing director of AP Industrial Infrastructure Corporation (APIIC) in 2005-10. Subramanyam (not yet arrested) was vice-chairman and Managing Director of APIIC when the township
project was conceived during the Telugu Desam rule.
The main allegation against the project developers Emaar is that it sold villas at high prices, after undervaluing the land rates for the government record, causing a loss to exchequer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'