AP`s excise policy a big farce: Chandrababu
Hyderabad: Dubbing Andhra Pradesh`s new Excise Policy as a "big farce", Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu Tuesday demanded that the government itself take up the retail liquor business to eliminate "liquor mafia" in the state.
"When governments of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Delhi are themselves doing retail liquor business, why can`t the AP government follow suit," the former Chief Minister questioned at a press conference here today.
The AP government yesterday came out with a new Excise Policy for 2012-13, in relation to disposal of liquor through retail shops, doing away with the controversial auction system and re-introducing the fixed license fee model based on population.
"The government clearly lacks sincerity. The new policy is only an eye-wash as it will encourage the liquor syndicates. It is seeking to suck poor people`s blood," Chandrababu lashed out and demanded that the government immediately reconsider the policy.
Though the government was earning thousands of crores in revenue from liquor, it was not spending that much amount on welfare programmes, the TDP chief pointed out.
"The government is treating liquor only as a revenue-generator and ignoring its social responsibility. Women are totally agitated and we too will take to streets if the government does not reconsider the Excise Policy," Chandrababu warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof