AP`s excise policy a big farce: Chandrababu
Hyderabad: Dubbing Andhra Pradesh`s new Excise Policy as a "big farce", Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu Tuesday demanded that the government itself take up the retail liquor business to eliminate "liquor mafia" in the state.
"When governments of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Delhi are themselves doing retail liquor business, why can`t the AP government follow suit," the former Chief Minister questioned at a press conference here today.
The AP government yesterday came out with a new Excise Policy for 2012-13, in relation to disposal of liquor through retail shops, doing away with the controversial auction system and re-introducing the fixed license fee model based on population.
"The government clearly lacks sincerity. The new policy is only an eye-wash as it will encourage the liquor syndicates. It is seeking to suck poor people`s blood," Chandrababu lashed out and demanded that the government immediately reconsider the policy.
Though the government was earning thousands of crores in revenue from liquor, it was not spending that much amount on welfare programmes, the TDP chief pointed out.
"The government is treating liquor only as a revenue-generator and ignoring its social responsibility. Women are totally agitated and we too will take to streets if the government does not reconsider the Excise Policy," Chandrababu warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'