APSRTC hit by drive against private bus players
Vijayawada: The crackdown by the Andhra Pradesh road transport authority (RTA) on private bus operators flouting norms though resulted in curtailing some services, the initiative has failed to ring in the cash register of the state road transport corporation (ASRTC).
The RTA kicked off the drive against errant private bus players in the wake of recent accident in Maharashtra in which 29 people from the state were killed en route to Shirdi.
With some of the buses being seized for not conforming with law, and the operators putting some of the services on hold, it was expected that passengers will opt state transport buses, but this seems not to be the case, according to a senior official.
"Many seats on state long-distance services are vacant even though the private operators have suspended their services. The occupancy on state transport buses has fallen by nearly 50 per cent on long distance routes," Nagendra Prasad, deputy chief traffic manager, APSRTC, Vijayawada said on Thursday.
Another factors affecting the occupancy are the "inauspicious" month of Ashadha wherein people mostly refrain from social and religious functions and usually avoid embarking on pilgrimage, besides commencing of academic year marking end to summer vacations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song