Assets case: Mopidevi sent to judicial custody
Hyderabad: A CBI court here Wednesday sent Andhra Pradesh Excise Minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao to judicial custody till June 7, even as he applied for bail on health grounds.
The minister was arrested in connection with disproportionate assets case involving Kadapa MP Jaganmohan Reddy.
After completion of the five-day custody period, the central agency produced Mopidevi before the principal special court for CBI cases which sent him to judicial custody to June 7, following which he was taken to Chanchalguda Jail.
Meanwhile, the court allowed Mopidevi`s plea seeking special prisoner status under the AP Prison Rules.
In its remand report against Mopidevi, who was arrested on May 24, CBI had earlier alleged that the minister approved the cabinet memorandum containing proposals for awarding of VANPIC project by withholding many important aspects related to it, such as total extent of land decided for the project.
CBI was permitted to interrogate him as it sought to ascertain information in connection with the allegation that there were various violations and several GOs were issued for alienation of over 15,000 acres of land in favour of Vanpic Projects Private Limited.
In his bail plea moved through his counsel, Mopidevi said he is suffering from high blood-pressure and other ailments. He said he suffered from brain stroke in 2006, for which he was hospitalised and his continuation in remand will affect his health.
Mopidevi`s counsel submitted that his client was falsely implicated in the case and the entire processing of files was done in routine course of business. "It was duly approved by the then Chief Minister (late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) and all rules relating to circulation of files were duly followed," the counsel said.
There should not be any aprrehension on part of the investigating agency that his grant of bail will adversely affect the investigation into the case, Mopidevi`s counsel further submitted, adding that his client will assist the CBI in its probe.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference