Assets case: Mopidevi sent to judicial custody
Hyderabad: A CBI court here Wednesday sent Andhra Pradesh Excise Minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao to judicial custody till June 7, even as he applied for bail on health grounds.
The minister was arrested in connection with disproportionate assets case involving Kadapa MP Jaganmohan Reddy.
After completion of the five-day custody period, the central agency produced Mopidevi before the principal special court for CBI cases which sent him to judicial custody to June 7, following which he was taken to Chanchalguda Jail.
Meanwhile, the court allowed Mopidevi`s plea seeking special prisoner status under the AP Prison Rules.
In its remand report against Mopidevi, who was arrested on May 24, CBI had earlier alleged that the minister approved the cabinet memorandum containing proposals for awarding of VANPIC project by withholding many important aspects related to it, such as total extent of land decided for the project.
CBI was permitted to interrogate him as it sought to ascertain information in connection with the allegation that there were various violations and several GOs were issued for alienation of over 15,000 acres of land in favour of Vanpic Projects Private Limited.
In his bail plea moved through his counsel, Mopidevi said he is suffering from high blood-pressure and other ailments. He said he suffered from brain stroke in 2006, for which he was hospitalised and his continuation in remand will affect his health.
Mopidevi`s counsel submitted that his client was falsely implicated in the case and the entire processing of files was done in routine course of business. "It was duly approved by the then Chief Minister (late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) and all rules relating to circulation of files were duly followed," the counsel said.
There should not be any aprrehension on part of the investigating agency that his grant of bail will adversely affect the investigation into the case, Mopidevi`s counsel further submitted, adding that his client will assist the CBI in its probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars