Assets case: Mopidevi sent to judicial custody
Hyderabad: A CBI court here Wednesday sent Andhra Pradesh Excise Minister Mopidevi Venkata Ramana Rao to judicial custody till June 7, even as he applied for bail on health grounds.
The minister was arrested in connection with disproportionate assets case involving Kadapa MP Jaganmohan Reddy.
After completion of the five-day custody period, the central agency produced Mopidevi before the principal special court for CBI cases which sent him to judicial custody to June 7, following which he was taken to Chanchalguda Jail.
Meanwhile, the court allowed Mopidevi`s plea seeking special prisoner status under the AP Prison Rules.
In its remand report against Mopidevi, who was arrested on May 24, CBI had earlier alleged that the minister approved the cabinet memorandum containing proposals for awarding of VANPIC project by withholding many important aspects related to it, such as total extent of land decided for the project.
CBI was permitted to interrogate him as it sought to ascertain information in connection with the allegation that there were various violations and several GOs were issued for alienation of over 15,000 acres of land in favour of Vanpic Projects Private Limited.
In his bail plea moved through his counsel, Mopidevi said he is suffering from high blood-pressure and other ailments. He said he suffered from brain stroke in 2006, for which he was hospitalised and his continuation in remand will affect his health.
Mopidevi`s counsel submitted that his client was falsely implicated in the case and the entire processing of files was done in routine course of business. "It was duly approved by the then Chief Minister (late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy) and all rules relating to circulation of files were duly followed," the counsel said.
There should not be any aprrehension on part of the investigating agency that his grant of bail will adversely affect the investigation into the case, Mopidevi`s counsel further submitted, adding that his client will assist the CBI in its probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks