At least 70,000 cyclone-hit people in Andhra relief camps
Hyderabad: Over 70,000 people have been evacuated and moved to 300 relief camps in cyclone-hit coastal Andhra Pradesh.
A majority of these people were evacuated in four south costal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and Nellore.
An official statement Friday said 170,000 food packets and 6.34 lakh water sachets were distributed in the relief camps.
According to officials, 17 people have been killed since the cyclone Laila hit the coast Thursday. Besides, 10 people have been killed in rain related incidents since Tuesday.
Krishna district accounted for seven deaths. While four people were killed in Nellore, Guntur accounted for three deaths, East Godavari two and Prakasham one. Three people are missing.
According to a preliminary report, 5,800 hectares of agricultural and 6,060 hectares of horticulture crops were damaged.
Fishermen have lost 262 boats. The statement said 260 boats were lost in Prakasham district. About 1,450 boats were damaged in seven districts.
The strong gales and heavy rains damaged 108 electric substations affecting electricity supply in 1,047 villages. Officials said 85 houses were fully damaged while 187 were damaged partly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'