At least 70,000 cyclone-hit people in Andhra relief camps
Hyderabad: Over 70,000 people have been evacuated and moved to 300 relief camps in cyclone-hit coastal Andhra Pradesh.
A majority of these people were evacuated in four south costal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and Nellore.
An official statement Friday said 170,000 food packets and 6.34 lakh water sachets were distributed in the relief camps.
According to officials, 17 people have been killed since the cyclone Laila hit the coast Thursday. Besides, 10 people have been killed in rain related incidents since Tuesday.
Krishna district accounted for seven deaths. While four people were killed in Nellore, Guntur accounted for three deaths, East Godavari two and Prakasham one. Three people are missing.
According to a preliminary report, 5,800 hectares of agricultural and 6,060 hectares of horticulture crops were damaged.
Fishermen have lost 262 boats. The statement said 260 boats were lost in Prakasham district. About 1,450 boats were damaged in seven districts.
The strong gales and heavy rains damaged 108 electric substations affecting electricity supply in 1,047 villages. Officials said 85 houses were fully damaged while 187 were damaged partly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves