At least 70,000 cyclone-hit people in Andhra relief camps
Hyderabad: Over 70,000 people have been evacuated and moved to 300 relief camps in cyclone-hit coastal Andhra Pradesh.
A majority of these people were evacuated in four south costal districts of Prakasam, Guntur, Krishna and Nellore.
An official statement Friday said 170,000 food packets and 6.34 lakh water sachets were distributed in the relief camps.
According to officials, 17 people have been killed since the cyclone Laila hit the coast Thursday. Besides, 10 people have been killed in rain related incidents since Tuesday.
Krishna district accounted for seven deaths. While four people were killed in Nellore, Guntur accounted for three deaths, East Godavari two and Prakasham one. Three people are missing.
According to a preliminary report, 5,800 hectares of agricultural and 6,060 hectares of horticulture crops were damaged.
Fishermen have lost 262 boats. The statement said 260 boats were lost in Prakasham district. About 1,450 boats were damaged in seven districts.
The strong gales and heavy rains damaged 108 electric substations affecting electricity supply in 1,047 villages. Officials said 85 houses were fully damaged while 187 were damaged partly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH