Attack on teachers by pro-Telangana students draws flak in AP
Hyderabad: Students and political activists
in non-Telangana regions today held protests against the
attack on teachers from the regions in Osmania University
allegedly by pro-Telangana supporters, an incident flayed by
Chief Minister K Rosaiah and other top leaders.
The students and others held demonstrations at various
places like Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam and Kadapa in coastal
Andhra and Rayalaseema regions in protest against the attack
on teachers from non-Telangana regions allegedly by
pro-Telangana students in the university campus yesterday. The
teachers had come to OU for spot evaluation of examination
While several teachers managed to escape the mob fury,
some of them were allegedly beaten up.
Students in Vijayawada performed a `milk abhishekam` on a
statue of Mahatma Gandhi in protest against the attack. A
report from Kadapa said Praja Rajyam Party activists held a
demonstration and burnt an effigy of the state government for
its alleged failure to prevent the attack.
The `Samaikyandhra` (united Andhra) Joint Action Committee
called for a shut-down of educational institutions in coastal
Andhra and Rayalaseema regions tomorrow.
"It is not correct. This kind of a thing would not help
them in realising statehood for Telangana," Rosaiah told
reporters at Srikalahasti in Chittoor district.
Terming the attack as unfortunate, Telugu Desam Chief N
Chandrababu Naidu alleged it was failure on part of the state
government as it could not prevent such an incident.
Other outfits campaigning for either united Andhra
Pradesh or separate Andhra state minus Telangana condemned the
attack and sought an apology from TRS and the Telangana Joint
Action Committee (JAC).
Describing the incident as unfortunate, the Telangana
JAC Convener M Kodandaram said it should, however, be not used
to whip up regional passions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'