Attack on teachers by pro-Telangana students draws flak in AP
Hyderabad: Students and political activists
in non-Telangana regions today held protests against the
attack on teachers from the regions in Osmania University
allegedly by pro-Telangana supporters, an incident flayed by
Chief Minister K Rosaiah and other top leaders.
The students and others held demonstrations at various
places like Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam and Kadapa in coastal
Andhra and Rayalaseema regions in protest against the attack
on teachers from non-Telangana regions allegedly by
pro-Telangana students in the university campus yesterday. The
teachers had come to OU for spot evaluation of examination
While several teachers managed to escape the mob fury,
some of them were allegedly beaten up.
Students in Vijayawada performed a `milk abhishekam` on a
statue of Mahatma Gandhi in protest against the attack. A
report from Kadapa said Praja Rajyam Party activists held a
demonstration and burnt an effigy of the state government for
its alleged failure to prevent the attack.
The `Samaikyandhra` (united Andhra) Joint Action Committee
called for a shut-down of educational institutions in coastal
Andhra and Rayalaseema regions tomorrow.
"It is not correct. This kind of a thing would not help
them in realising statehood for Telangana," Rosaiah told
reporters at Srikalahasti in Chittoor district.
Terming the attack as unfortunate, Telugu Desam Chief N
Chandrababu Naidu alleged it was failure on part of the state
government as it could not prevent such an incident.
Other outfits campaigning for either united Andhra
Pradesh or separate Andhra state minus Telangana condemned the
attack and sought an apology from TRS and the Telangana Joint
Action Committee (JAC).
Describing the incident as unfortunate, the Telangana
JAC Convener M Kodandaram said it should, however, be not used
to whip up regional passions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future