Babri anniversary passes off peacefully in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: The 20th anniversary of the demolition of Babri Masjid Thursday passed off peacefully here amid tight security, police said. A shutdown was called by Muslim organisations to mark the day.
No untoward incident was reported from any part of the city including the old city, which witnessed a series of communal clashes during the last few weeks.
The afternoon prayers at the Mecca Masjid went off peacefully with police maintaining a tight vigil at the nearby Charminar, where the expansion of a temple abutting the monument had sparked off tension last month.
The shutdown called by Muslim organisations evoked mixed response in the city. Most of the shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed in the old city.
Black flags were hoisted on roads and on top of buildings at several places in the old city.
Hyderabad police Commissioner Anurag Sharma said the situation in the city was peaceful and no untoward incident was reported. He thanked people for cooperating with police in maintaining law and order.
The police chief said the tight security arrangements, as a precautionary measure, would continue till Friday prayers.
Policemen and personnel of Rapid Action Force were deployed in the communally sensitive areas. Prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more persons were imposed.
As a precautionary measure, the Archaeological Survey of India banned the entry of visitors into Charminar till Dec 8.
The 16th century Babri Masjid in Ayodhya in Faizabad district of Uttar Pradesh was demolished by a mob Dec 6, 1992, triggering communal violence across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan