Bamboo flowering in Nehru Park concerns authorities
Hyderabad: Bamboo flowering in Nehru
Zoological Park here has triggered concern among the Zoo
officials, prompting them to cut off the bushes to prevent the
aftermath associated with it.
"There was bamboo flowering at some place in the 40-acre
spread Lion Safari Park in the Zoo. We immediately ordered the
bushes to cut to prevent the increase of rodent population
associated with it," Zoo park director Gopal Reddy said.
Bamboo which flowers after 40 to 50 years dies after the
flowering and the dried fruit of the flower serves as a rich
protein diet for rodents.
Mizoram, which had been faced with three cycles of bamboo
flowering so far since 1907, suffered famine after the first
two flowering cycles. The State Government had to offer Rs 1
for every rat tail to encourage people to kill rats.
"With the availability of rich-diet, the reproductive
system of rodents will increase, resulting in multiple rat
population. The rats used to raid villages and town in Mizoram
for food, causing famine. However, since the flowering took
place only in small patches in our Zoo Park, we successfully
removed entire plantation," Reddy said.
He said they had to remove the bamboo plantation
(Graminae variety) to prevent fire accidents and rat
The Zoo, which witnessed the first flowering after its
inception in 1963, is said to be the first place in the State
where bamboo flowered after 1978.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand