Bandh in Seemandhra region to protest against AP division
Hyderabad: A bandh called by YSR Congress, TDP and other political parties is being observed in Seemandhra region of Andhra Pradesh on Wednesday to protest against passage of the AP Reorganisation Bill-2013 in the Lok Sabha.
The bandh, also supported by APNGOs and different pro-united Andhra Pradesh organisations, is being held in different districts of Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema regions of the state with police beefing up security to thwart any attempts to disturb law and order.
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) bus services across Seemandhra region were hit due to the bandh, while educational institutions - government as well as private- remained closed in most parts. Shops and business establishments were also shut at many places.
Hundreds of protesters took to the streets and held rallies, demonstrations and formed human chains in different towns across 13 districts of Seemandhra condemning the decision to divide Andhra Pradesh and raised slogans against the move.
"The bandh has been peaceful so far and there were no reports of any untoward incidents. Bus services were affected in Visakhapatnam, Srikakulam and Vizianagaram districts with buses confining to depots," DIG (Visakhapatnam Range) P Umapathi told a news agency.
"We are keeping a watch on the situation. Paramilitary and state police forces have been deployed at different locations, including public places, central government offices as a precautionary measure," another police officer said.
A report from Visakhapatnam said the Seemandhra bandh called by the YSRCP and the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) against the bill has generated a partial response today.
Except long route bus services of APSRTC, the other transport vehicles like auto rickshaws and private vehicles were plying as usual. "We have stopped the long route services and were plying city services. If any trouble breaks out then they will also stop the city services," RTC sources said.
Supporters of political parties like TDP, Congress and YSRCP staged dharnas in front of bus depots at Maddilapalem junction protesting against the bifurcation.
Police have tightened the security at all the vulnerable points to maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price