Bandh to protest Jagan`s arrest peaceful
Hyderabad: A bandh call given by the YSR Congress party in protest against the arrest of their leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Wednesday evoked a mixed response in Andhra Pradesh even as police clamped prohibitory orders in the city to prevent any untoward incident.
In another development, Jagan`s mother and MLA YS Vijaya along with other members of her family, launched a fast outside their Lotus Pond residence here even as the MP was produced in the special court of CBI.
Stephen Ravindra, Deputy Commissioner of Police, west zone said Vijayamma did not take any prior permission for the dharna. Vijaya announced that she would continue her "deeksha" till Jagan was set free.
39-year-old Jagan was arrested yesterday after three days of intense grilling by the CBI in a disproportionate assets case. The arrest comes just ahead of by-elections to 18 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha seat in the state.
The YSRC governing council is holding an emergency meeting to take stock of the situation and devise its course of action.
Former ministers Pilli Subhash Chandra Bose and Balineni Srinivasa Reddy, who were contesting the by-elections, were briefly detained as they were leading protests in their areas.
Police sources here said response to the bandh called by YSRC was partial in Andhra-Rayalaseema regions while it was negligible in Telangana.
Anticipating backlash from Jaganmohan Reddy`s supporters, Andhra Pradesh Police beefed up security across the state, particularly in Hyderabad and Kadapa district.
Section 144 CrPC, which bans assembly of more than four persons, has been clamped in the city to prevent untoward incidents. CCTVs have been installed near Nampally criminal courts where Jagan was produced, to keep a tab on trouble makers.
Hyderabad Traffic Police have also announced traffic restrictions on way leading to the Court.
Naveen Chand, joint commissioner of Police said police have made elaborate security arrangements and no untoward incidents reported so far.
Government offices are functioning normally in the city most of the RTC busses are running as per schedule, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report