Banswada bypoll: 77% polling reported
Hyderabad: Over 77 percent polling was
reported in the bypoll held to the Banswada Assembly
constituency in Andhra Pradesh`s Nizamabad district on Thursday.
The by-election was peaceful and 77.62 per cent polling
was reported, Chief Electoral Officer (in-charge) MA Fahim
The counting of votes would be taken up on October 17.
There are 77,305 men voters, while the number of women
voters is 82,368. Polling authorities had set up 186 polling
The bypoll was necessitated as sitting TDP MLA Pocharam
Srinivasa Reddy resigned from his post and the party and
He quit the TDP in protest against the party`s alleged
ambivalent stand on the Telangana issue.
He is seeking re-election and his victory is said to be a
foregone conclusion as the separate statehood agitation has
been going on in full steam for over a month now.
The TDP chose not to field its candidate, while ruling
Congress nominee is S Srinvasa Goud.
No major Congress leader campaigned in support of the
party candidate as Srinivasa Reddy quit in support of the
Four independents are also in the fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city