Be flexible on Lokpal: CPI to Anna
Hyderabad: Making a strong pitch for
granting autonomy to CBI, the CPI on Monday said social activist
Anna Hazare should be "flexible" in his approach for achieving
a strong Lokpal and let the Parliament debate and decide on
"Our party is in favour of a strong Lokpal. We put
pressure on the government for it. We feel there are some
weaknesses in the bill brought in by the government. But, we
are against placing CBI under Lokpal as is being demanded by
Anna Hazare," CPI Deputy General Secretary Suravaram Sudhakar
Reddy told reporters on the sidelines of a party programe
Lokpal with absolute powers over legislature and
executive may emerge as a super power which may hurt someone,
"There is no guarantee that the Lokpal would not do
what the governments of the day are doing. CBI should have
autonomy. CBI is being used by the ruling party as a tool to
harass political rivals. So, we favour autonomy and
accountability of CBI," Reddy said.
On the anti-graft draft, the deputy general secretary
said,"some issues sought by Anna Hazare have been taken of. On
others, I feel he should be flexible. Parliament is supreme.
He should try to get a strong Lokpal bill in Parliament but
not employ other pressures".
Reddy was speaking on the sidelines of a programme
organised on the occasion of the CPI`s 86th anniversary.
Replying to a query, he said the CPI was fighting
against "corrupt" politics of the UPA-II.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video