Bedlam in AP House over sale of govt properties
Hyderabad: Screams and howls reverberated
in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly as allegations and
counter-allegations flew thick between the treasury and the
opposition benches resulting in a bedlam and two adjournments
Caught on the defensive, the Congress government tried
to launch a counter-attack on the principal opposition Telugu
Desam Party by referring to sale of government properties by
the then government after Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu
Naidu alleged that the government was encouraging the ‘mining
mafia’, an indirect reference to Karnataka Tourism Minister
Gali Janardhana Reddy.
The Question Hour in the Assembly was marred by
catcalls and screams between the Congress and the TDP members
on the issue of leasing over iron ore mines to Obulapuram
Mining Company, owned by the Karnataka Tourism Minister.
The government informed the TDP members that OMC, a
sister concern of Brahmani Steels being set up in Kadapa
district, was granted mining leases. No captive mining was
allotted to Brahmani Steels, Major Industries Minister Kanna
TDP deputy leader Nagam Janardhana Reddy, however,
challenged that he would prove the minister?s claim wrong. "I
will prove that it is captive mining, otherwise I will resign
from my post. Will you do the same if I am proved right,"
Nagam challenged Kanna.
The Minister, however, started reading out a list of
companies and lands sold during the TDP regime before 2004.
This sparked off strong protests from the TDP members
who tried to hit back at the government. This led to heated
exchange of words between Congress and TDP MLAs. The Speaker,
however, removed the exchanges from the records.
In the bedlam, Deputy Speaker Nadendla Manohar, who
was in the chair, wound up the Question Hour and adjourned the
proceedings for 15 minutes. After the break, the House took
up a short-duration discussion on the grave power crisis in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof