BJP appeals PM to declare AP floods as national calamity
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh BJP on Thursday
appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to declare recent
floods, which caused widespread destruction in the state, as a
"We want you (PM) to declare AP floods as a national
calamity and to release a fund of Rs 10,000 crore for rescue
and rehabilitation work," state BJP president Bandaru
Dattatraya said in a letter to the prime minister.
"While this is no time to involve in blame game, it is
important and imperative to constitute a high-level committee
of experts drawn from other states to go into various aspects,
including finding whether there were any lapses, and to
prevent such happenings in future," the BJP leader said.
He also called for creating a Central Water Monitoring
system to prevent arbitrary release of water by the individual
states, especially during floods and heavy rains, and sought
for constituting a Central Coordination Committee under the
Central Water Commission for effective management of rivers.
"BJP feels that `proportionate water release` should be
followed while releasing water," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know