BJP appeals PM to declare AP floods as national calamity
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh BJP on Thursday
appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to declare recent
floods, which caused widespread destruction in the state, as a
"We want you (PM) to declare AP floods as a national
calamity and to release a fund of Rs 10,000 crore for rescue
and rehabilitation work," state BJP president Bandaru
Dattatraya said in a letter to the prime minister.
"While this is no time to involve in blame game, it is
important and imperative to constitute a high-level committee
of experts drawn from other states to go into various aspects,
including finding whether there were any lapses, and to
prevent such happenings in future," the BJP leader said.
He also called for creating a Central Water Monitoring
system to prevent arbitrary release of water by the individual
states, especially during floods and heavy rains, and sought
for constituting a Central Coordination Committee under the
Central Water Commission for effective management of rivers.
"BJP feels that `proportionate water release` should be
followed while releasing water," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!