BJP slams Azad for his comment on Telangana issue
Hyderabad: Criticising Union Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad for his comment that a decision on Telangana statehood would be taken only after arriving at a "consensus", BJP on Saturday said Congress should clarify its stand on the issue.
"Bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh is certainly not an easy task, unlike that of UP, MP and Bihar. The Centre cannot take a decision on Telangana till a consensus is arrived at," Azad had told reporters here yesterday.
Targetting Azad over the statement, former Union Minister and senior BJP leader Bandaru Dattatreya today said the situation in the three states (UP, MP and Bihar) was more serious than it is in Andhra Pradesh now. "But the NDA government, under the leadership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, had tried for a consensus and carved out three states (Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand)," he said.
Instead of trying to bring consensus, the UPA government was blaming the Opposition parties, Dattatreya said alleging that Congress was fooling the people of the region by using the word "consensus".
The BJP leader said that the people of Telangana were confused by the "contradictory statements" of Congress central leaders and union ministers, as well as state Congress MPs and ministers on the issue.
He appealed to the people to support the BJP, "which is in favour of smaller states".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened