Bobbili MLA shifts loyalty to Jagan, quits Congres
Hyderabad: Congress MLA Venkata Sujay Krishna Ranga Rao Ravu from Bobbili in Vizianagaram district on Wednesday resigned from the state Assembly as well as the party.
Ranga Rao, who hails from Bobbili royal family, joined the Kadapa MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy`s camp four days ago and expressed full solidarity with the latter prior to his arrest in the disproportionate assets case.
He was elected to the state Assembly in 2004 and 2009.
Congress currently has a wafer-thin majority in the 294-member AP Assembly with 153 members, including the 16 of erstwhile Praja Rajyam Party and with the resignation of Ranga Rao the strength has depleted to 152 -- only four more than the magic figure of 148.
The recent happenings in the party have further widened the rift between the Chief Minister and PCC president Botsa Satyanarayana. Botsa was very particular that the whip be cracked against the rebel MLAs but Kiran reportedly was opposed to it.
"Kiran still wants to lure the rebel MLAs back into the party using the same old tactics he employed on a few other rebels in the past few months. But such tricks are only causing more harm to the party," a PCC leader lamented.
Sources close to Kiran maintain that they could not afford to lose MLAs at a time when the party position was dicey and when there were ominous signals for the Congress on the outcome of by-elections to 18 Assembly seats. Hence, the Chief Minister would not like any immediate action on the rebels.
Ranga Rao, however, did not leave scope for the Congress to act against him as he resigned from the party as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad