Brinda Karat protests HPV vaccination drive in AP
New Delhi: Protesting against an HPV
vaccination drive by an NGO in Andhra Pradesh, CPI(M) polit
bureau member Brinda Karat has said it is a "worst practice"
programme that raises many questions.
Karat claimed that mainly tribal girls in the age
bracket of 10 to 14 years were being vaccinated by an NGO in
several districts of Andhra Pradesh with the approval of the
Andhra Pradesh Government and the Indian Council of Medical
"I am writting to register my strong protest against
this programme which is an example of a worst practice
programme which raises many questions," she said in a letter
to Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad.
"The matter gains urgency because of the deaths of
four tribal girls who were vaccinated. There are also reports
of fairly widespread side effects that the other girls who
have been administered the vaccine are suffering from," she
Observing that such a programme cannot and should not
take place outside the public health system, Karat said the
entire programme calls into question the lack of precautions
and lack of monitoring of those who had been administerd the
Giving details of the programme, Karat said, the HPV
vaccination programme was started in Khammam District on
August 19, 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram