By polls to seven seats relief for Cong in Andhra
Hyderabad: The announcement of the schedule for by-elections to seven assembly seats has come as a relief for Andhra Pradesh`s ruling Congress as it will now not be facing polls in 24 constituencies in one go as being demanded by the YSR Congress party.
With the assembly speaker yet to take a decision on the disqualification of 17 Congress rebels, the Election Commission decided to go ahead with the polls for seven other seats which fell vacant last year due to resignations of six members. The seventh vacancy was caused by the death of an independent legislator.
By announcing the schedule for seven seats, the Election Commission has ignored the demand of the YSR Congress to conduct simultaneous polls for 24 seats.
Six of the seven seats going to polls on March 18 are in Telangana and as the sentiments for separate state are still strong, the Congress wanted to avoid facing simultaneous elections in other constituencies.
YSR Congress legislators, in a letter to the Election Commission on Feb 13, had urged it to hold polls for all 24 seats in one go. They alleged that the Congress was afraid of facing the electorate and hence was pressurising the speaker to go slow on their disqualification.
The Congress had sought disqualification of the rebels after they violated the party whip and voted in favour of the no-confidence motion moved by opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in the assembly in December.
YSR Congress leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy had challenged the Congress to face by-elections for all 24 seats. The rebels had also met the speaker, urging him to disqualify them.
The ruling party leaders, however, denied that they were afraid of facing the electorate. They claimed that it was for the speaker to decide on the disqualification of the rebels.
As per the poll schedule announced by the Election Commission last night, polling would be held for seven seats on March 18. The vacancies arose due to resignations of two legislators of Congress party, one of TDP, three rebels of TDP and the death of one independent MLA.
Two legislators each of Congress and TDP resigned to join Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS). Senior TDP leader N. Janardhan Reddy resigned over the demand for separate Telangana state. Another TDP rebel Prasanna Kumar Reddy quit his seat to join YSR Congress party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt