Bypoll campaign picks up steam in Guntur district
Guntur (AP): With less than a week to go for the June 12 bypolls to two Assembly constituencies in the district, electioneering has picked up momentum despite sweltering heat.
Prathipadu (SC) and Macherla segments will vote to elect new representatives next week.
Though 11 candidates are in the fray in Prathipadu and 13 in Macherla, the contest is mainly between YSR Congress, Congress and TDP in the two constituencies.
M Sucheritha (YSR Congress) in Prattipadu and P Rama Krishna Reddy (YSR Congress) in Macherla are seeking re- election. They were earlier elected on Congress ticket.
Political observers say the ruling Congress, a late starter on campaign front, is facing tough time in both constituencies.
Of late high-profile Congress leaders have made a beeline to the two constituencies. They include Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Deputy Chief Minister Raja Narasimha, Pradesh Congress President B Satyanarayana and Minister D Srinivas. However, their election rallies and meetings have registered poor attendance.
Former Excise Minister M V Ramana Rao, in charge of Congress election campaign in Prathipadu, was arrested late last month in a corruption case. This dealt a huge blow to Congress` efforts to win the seat.
The impending visit of filmstar and Congress Rajya Sabha member Chiranjeevi is expected to boost the sagging morale of the Congress.
YSR Congress chief Y S Jagan Mohan spent more than 10 days in the two constituencies before his arrest on May 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed