Bypolls not referendum on AP govt: Vayalar Ravi
Hyderabad: Union Minister and Congress high command`s emissary to Andhra Pradesh Vayalar Ravi on Monday said the June 12 by-elections to 18 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha constituency were not a referendum on the state government.
"You cannot treat these (by-elections) as a referendum. The bypolls were caused as some legislators defied the party, which gave them their political life. We are explaining this to the people," Ravi told newsmen here today.
The high command`s envoy returned to Hyderabad this morning to oversee the party`s campaign for bypolls.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy hosted lunch for the Union Minister and discussed the party position in different constituencies.
Ravi said everyone knew why Kadapa MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy quit Congress and floated his own YSR Congress party. "Along with him, some Congress cadre too left the party," he added.
The by-elections would see a triangular contest between Congress, TDP and YSR Congress, he said.
Replying to questions, Ravi said he had no information about the possible questioning of some state ministers by the CBI in connection with the disproportionate assets case against Jagan. "The ministers may be questioned but that will not cause any problem to the government. The CBI investigation is going on as per the court directives," the Union Minister pointed out.
On Telangana, Ravi said the issue was under the consideration of the Union government.
Ravi will camp in Hyderabad to discuss the bypoll strategy with senior leaders and also visit some constituencies with Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana for campaigning, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire