Bypolls not referendum on AP govt: Vayalar Ravi
Hyderabad: Union Minister and Congress high command`s emissary to Andhra Pradesh Vayalar Ravi on Monday said the June 12 by-elections to 18 Assembly seats and one Lok Sabha constituency were not a referendum on the state government.
"You cannot treat these (by-elections) as a referendum. The bypolls were caused as some legislators defied the party, which gave them their political life. We are explaining this to the people," Ravi told newsmen here today.
The high command`s envoy returned to Hyderabad this morning to oversee the party`s campaign for bypolls.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy hosted lunch for the Union Minister and discussed the party position in different constituencies.
Ravi said everyone knew why Kadapa MP Y S Jaganmohan Reddy quit Congress and floated his own YSR Congress party. "Along with him, some Congress cadre too left the party," he added.
The by-elections would see a triangular contest between Congress, TDP and YSR Congress, he said.
Replying to questions, Ravi said he had no information about the possible questioning of some state ministers by the CBI in connection with the disproportionate assets case against Jagan. "The ministers may be questioned but that will not cause any problem to the government. The CBI investigation is going on as per the court directives," the Union Minister pointed out.
On Telangana, Ravi said the issue was under the consideration of the Union government.
Ravi will camp in Hyderabad to discuss the bypoll strategy with senior leaders and also visit some constituencies with Pradesh Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana for campaigning, party sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video