Cabinet fails to arrive at decision over Telangana
New Delhi: The Cabinet on Saturday discussed the vexed issue of statehood for Telangana but could arrive at no decision on the roadmap ahead, informed sources said.
"There was a meeting between the Cabinet and the Cabinet committee on economic affairs. It lasted about 10 minutes," the sources said.
"The main dilemma is that within the (Congress) party, there seems to be no consensus (on the issue). Maybe there will be more behind the scene discussions before a decision can be arrived at," the sources added.
One possible reason why Saturday`s meeting was inconclusive was that Home Minister P. Chidambaram was away in Tamil Nadu.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy were among those who attended the meeting, presided over by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice